Can a bye week and heavy winds bring meaningful change for Indiana?
Losers of five in a row, the Hoosiers desperately need to find answers. And they’ll need to do that against their most difficult stretch of the season.
Next up, the Penn State Nittany Lions, a team that has also hit a rough patch, with two losses in their last three outings.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Hoosiers’ week nine matchup.
No. 16 PENN STATE (6-2, 3-2) at INDIANA (3-5, 1-4)
- Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. Eastern, Saturday
- Location: Bloomington, Ind., Memorial Stadium (52,656; field turf)
- Television: ABC — Bob Wischusen (pbp), Dan Orlovsky (analyst), Kris Budden (sideline)
- Stream: Watch ESPN
- Radio: IU Football radio network
- Odds: Penn State is an 13.5-point favorite
- Weather at kickoff: 61 degrees, cloudy, wind 17 mph, 40% chance of precipitation.
- Series: Penn State leads 23-2 (PSU won 24-0 in 2021)
- The Coaches:
Tom Allen is in his sixth year as the head coach at IU. He holds a 29-37 record.
James Franklin has a career record of 97-51 in 12 seasons. He’s 73-36 in nine years at Penn State.
The Daily Hoosier’s Week Nine Coverage:
- IU football getting set for tough game against Penn State
- IU football linebacker Aaron Casey’s confidence is growing with every passing week
- Watch: IU football coach Tom Allen with final thoughts on QB situation and Penn State
- Linebacker Cam Jones not expected to play vs. PSU | Depth chart coming out of bye week
- IU football coach Tom Allen radio show: Penn State week
- Watch: IU football coordinators Bell and Wilt on bye week, Penn State
- No clear answers at quarterback for IU football ahead of Penn State
- Watch: IU football coach Tom Allen Q&A as Hoosiers return from bye, prepare for Penn State
- Tom Allen declines to say Connor Bazelak is the starting QB against Penn State
- IU football: WR Cam Camper out for season with torn ACL, Cam Jones still week-to-week
Indiana will honor the 15th anniversary of the 2007 Insight Bowl team. Special guests expected include coach Bill Lynch and members of coach Terry Hoeppner’s family.
Former Hoosier stars Jason Spriggs, Micah McFadden, and Peyton Hendershot will be guests of the program.
Indiana is also honoring veterans on Salute to Service Day.
SPECIAL WEATHER ADVISORY
(From IU Athletics)
The National Weather Service has issued a Wind Advisory for Monroe County on Saturday from 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. Winds are expected between 20-30 miles per hour with gusts up to 50 miles per hour leading up to, during, and after IU’s football game against Penn State at Memorial Stadium.
In preparation for tomorrow’s advisory, attendees are advised that:
All attendees should use extreme caution with tents, temporary structures, and tailgate equipment in and around Memorial Stadium;
No tailgate materials (including tents and temporary structures) can be left unattended;
Tents, temporary structures, and/or tailgate equipment must be taken down if requested to do so by an IU Athletics or gameday event management official;
No grills or fires can be left unattended.
All IU Athletics complex parking lots open at 9 a.m., and Memorial Stadium gates open at 2 p.m.
Indiana is relatively healthy coming out of the bye week.
Defensive end Beau Robbins is expected to return from injury.
Linebacker Cam Jones is still out with a foot injury.
Offensive tackle Matthew Bedford and wide receiver Cam Camper are out for the season.
TALE OF THE TAPE
THE COMPLETE BIG TEN WEEK NINE SLATE
|Evanston, Ill.||TV: ABC Stats Radio: WYLL 1160 AM|
|West Lafayette, Ind. (Conf.)||TV: FS1 Stats Radio: WAZY (96.5 FM) Video|
|Lincoln, Neb. (Conf.)||TV: ESPN2 Stats Radio: KFAN 100.3 FM Video|
|Madison, WI (Conf.)||TV: BTN Stats Video|
|Champaign, Ill. (Conf.)||TV: BTN Stats Radio: Spartan Media Network|
|Bloomington, Ind. (Conf.)||TV: ABC Stats Radio: IU Radio Network Video|
|Piscataway, N.J. (Conf.)||TV: Big Ten Network Stats Radio: WFAN 660-AM, FOX Sports New Jersey 93.5-FM/1450-AM, SiriusXM 135 or 195, Audacy app, Scarlet Knights app Video|
PENN STATE RESULTS AND LEADERS
- at Purdue W, 35-31
- Ohio W, 46-10
- at Auburn W, 41-12
- Central Michigan W, 33-14
- Northwestern W, 17-7
- at Michigan L, 17-41
- Minnesota W, 45-17
- Ohio State L, 31-44
2022 STATISTICAL LEADERS
- RUSHING: Nicholas Singleton – 96 for 606 yds (75.8 ypg; 6.3 ypc), 7 TD
- PASSING: Sean Clifford – 147-of-234 (63%), 1,816 yds (227.0 ypg), 16 TD/6 INT
- RECEIVING: Parker Washington – 41 for 567 yds (70.9 ypg; 13.8 ypr), 2 TD
- DEFENSE: Ji’Ayir Brown – 49 TT, 3.5 TFL, 1.0 SK, 3 INT, 1 FF, 2 PBU, 4 QBH
There are wildcards in this one. The weather could create chaos. And new quarterbacks could change what we think we know about each team.
But one thing is certain. Penn State is top to bottom the better team. It would take another 2020 miracle for IU to pull it out — but that magic appears to be long gone.
TDH: PENN STATE 31 INDIANA 10
ESPN SP+ (Computer) Penn State 36 Indiana 18
ESPN FPI (Computer) Indiana 15.9 percent chance to win
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.