In 49 states, it’s just a game. In the state of Indiana, we need our own power rankings. Every week we’ll help settle the ongoing debate regarding who are the best college basketball teams in the state of Indiana.
Here are the state of Indiana NCAA Division 1 men’s college basketball power rankings for the week ended March 4, 2018:
Current Indiana teams in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology: Purdue (2), Butler (9).
1. Purdue Boilermakers (28-6, 15-3) (B1G) – Their standing here has never really been in doubt all season. What is still in doubt is whether this fully capable team can finally get the no national championships monkey off their back.
2. Butler Bulldogs (19-12, 9-9) (Big East) – Two losses on the week and one now has to wonder if their Big East tournament opener against Seton Hall is a must win to make the NCAA tournament. Hopefully not for their sake — Seton Hall beat them twice this year.
3. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (18-13, 8-10) (ACC) – Did Joe Lunardi go to Notre Dame? This team is 5-10 in their last 15 and they are in the last four out? Yeah, yeah, we know — Bonzie Colson, but just how far can you take that? The good news is that Colson has played a couple games and now ND can prove it on the court at the ACC tournament.
4. Indiana Hoosiers (16-15, 9-9) (B1G) – Well that didn’t end well, did it? After sitting at 16-12 and full of hope for the future, the Hoosiers went out with a thud. Most prognosticators have them out of the NIT when it’s all said and done. It’s time to obsess (even more) about Romeo.
5. Ball State Cardinals (19-12, 10-8) (MAC) – Talk about your bad timing. 3 straight losses to 3 bad teams, and Ball State is likely going to miss out on the NIT unless it makes noise in the MAC tournament.
6. Fort Wayne Mastodons (18-14, 7-7) (Summit) – One and done in the Summit tournament and that’s all she wrote. But hey, they beat IU. *Double checks to make sure Bryson Scott is out of eligibility*
7. Indiana State Sycamores (13-18, 8-10) (MVC) – One and done in the MVC tournament and that’s all she wrote. But hey, they beat IU. *Double checks to make sure Brenton Scott is out of eligibility*
8. Evansville Purple Aces (17-15, 7-11) (MVC) – Yet another one and done team from the Hoosier state. The madness, or lack thereof in the March sense. Evansville loses in the MVC first round to Northern Iowa and calls it a season.
9. Valparaiso Crusaders (15-17, 6-12) (MVC) – You guessed it. One. And. Done. Missouri State knocks out the Crusaders. This team was 8-0 to start the season. 7-17 since. Last in the MVC.
10. IUPUI Jaguars (11-19, 8-10) (Horizon)- Is there another term for one and done because this is getting old. Seven Indiana teams played in conference tournaments, six lost their first game. Was there really any doubt that the Jags would be in that latter group?
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier