BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — In their final home game of the season, Indiana defeated Michigan on Sunday at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall by a final score of 75-73 in overtime. The Hoosiers have won three straight over Michigan.
Indiana led at halftime 29-27, and the game was tied at 69 at the end of regulation. The Hoosiers were led in the game by Trayce Jackson-Davis with 27 points and nine rebounds. Race Thompson added 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Indiana (21-10, 12-8) will have a double-bye in the Big Ten Tournament and will play next on Friday.
THREE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. A second half rally. Indiana led 27-13 in the first half, only to completely collapse late in the first half and into the second. Michigan went on a 29-7 run that spanned both halves. The Hoosiers trailed 59-49 with 10 minutes left and appeared to be in major trouble. But IU closed the second half with a 20-10 edge to force overtime. On senior day, IU put its three seniors on the floor — Trayce Jackson-Davis, Race Thompson, and Miller Kopp — and all three made big plays down the stretch.
2. Trayce and Race on senior night. Indiana’s veteran big men came through in a big way in their last home game. Trayce Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson combined for 43 points and 19 rebounds. Thompson missed four free throws in the closing seconds that gave Michigan a chance, but was saved but a late steal. He had a couple steals of his own late that in what was Thompson’s best game since suffering a January knee injury. Jackson-Davis produced a massive second half plus overtime with 17 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals in the final 25 minutes.
3. Bates comes through. Starting guard Trey Galloway was in foul trouble throughout the game and fouled out early. That meant Tamar Bates, who had struggled early in the game, would have to play big minutes. The sophomore guard made two threes and was on the floor throughout the second half rally and into overtime. Overall he played 23 minutes, had the highest plus/minus on the team, and got a steal on Michigan’s final possession.
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.