Indiana’s much improved defensive line took a hit.
Jovan Swann posted on his Twitter account on Tuesday evening that he has decided not to use the extra year of eligibility granted to all athletes and play professionally after one season with the Hoosiers.
“I would like to thank Coach Allen and Indiana University for giving me another opportunity to play college ball at a high level in the Big Ten,” Swann said in a graphic attached to his post. … “I am thankful to have been able to be part of such a historical team this past season. Even with its ups and down, it will be one to remember.”
Hailing from the south Indianapolis suburbs, Swann played at Stanford before graduating and transferring to IU for the 2020 season.
Swann was part of the main defensive line rotation in his lone season at IU. He appeared in all eight games and compiled four tackles, three quarterback hits and a pass break-up.
“So excited to see you Chase your Dream of playing in the NFL! I appreciate your leadership and I know you will be successful in all that you do. Love You!!” Indiana coach Tom Allen said in response to Swann’s post.
Indiana will return Sio Nofoagatoto’a and Demarcus Elliott in the middle of its defensive line. Jerome Johnson has yet to announce his own decision regarding whether to use his final year of eligibility. Promising young talents Damarjhe Lewis, and C.J. Person are important parts of the equation going forward.
After Swann’s announcement, Johnson is the final player that will announce an extra year of eligibility decision.
Here is a summary of the decisions made thus far.
- Jovan Swann (DL) – NFL Draft
- Kham Taylor (TE) – Returning
- Haydon Whitehead (P) – Not expected to return
- Marcelino Ball (DB) – Returning
- Mackenzie Nworah (OL) – Returning
- Dylan Powell (OL) – Returning
- Jared Smolar (K) – Returning
- Jerome Johnson (DL) – OPEN
- Raheem Layne (DB) – Returning
- Whop Philyor (WR) – NFL Draft
- Ty Fryfogle (WR) – Returning
- Harry Crider (OL) – NFL Draft
- Michael Ziemba (DL) – Returning
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier