March 25, 1993 — St. Louis, Missouri
Nothing was going to get in senior forward Calbert Cheaney’s way in a 1993 Sweet 16 matchup with Louisville.
Certainly not Cardinal forward Dwayne Morton.
After Morton tried to intimidate Cheaney after an altercation at the rim, the two got into a heated, face-to-face meeting on the ground that resulted in technical fouls on both players.
Morton went on to make just 4-of-14 shots on the day and admitted after the game that he was too hyper.
Meanwhile, Cheaney hardly missed.
Cheaney was 10-of-12 from both the field and the free throw line as the incident with Morton seemed to fuel IU’s all-time leading scorer.
While the altercation resulted in a quick five-point swing for Louisville, the top-seeded Hoosiers could not miss in the first half and took a 50-43 lead into the locker room. IU made 17 of its 23 shots before the break.
Louisville kept things close, and pulled to within 62-59 with seven minutes to go. After James Brewer missed a three-pointer that would have tied the game, Cheaney made his next four shots and the Hoosiers closed out the game on a 20-10 run.
Cheaney scored 32 points for the game and added 8 rebounds and 4 assists.
“The biggest difference in the game was Calbert Cheaney. We held our own with the rest of their players, but we couldn’t stop him,” Lousville head coach Denny Crum told reporters after the game.
Greg Graham added 22 points and Matt Nover had 15 as IU shot 62.2 percent from the field.
The 82-69 win propelled IU into an Elite Eight matchup with Kansas.
- March 14: Indiana vs. Auburn (1987)
- March 14: Indiana vs. Maryland (1981)
- March 17: Four memorable games
- March 18: Indiana vs. Kansas (1953)
- March 19: Indiana vs. Kentucky (2016)
- March 20: Indiana vs. Duke (1987)
- March 21: Indiana vs. Duke (2002)
- March 21: Indiana vs. Purdue (1979)
- March 21: Indiana vs. LSU (1992)
- March 22: Indiana vs. North Carolina (1984)
- March 22: Indiana vs. LSU (1987)
- March 23: Indiana vs. Kent State (2002)
- March 24: Indiana vs. Temple (2013)
- March 25: Indiana vs. Louisville (1993)
- March 26: Indiana vs. Florida State (1992)
- March 27: Indiana vs. UCLA (1976)
- March 28: Indiana vs. UNLV (1987)
- March 28: Indiana vs. LSU (1981)
- March 28: Indiana vs. UCLA (1992)
- March 29: Indiana vs. Michigan (1976)
- March 30: Indiana vs. Kansas (1940)
- March 30: Indiana vs. North Carolina (1981)
- March 30: Indiana vs. Syracuse (1987)
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier