March 28, 1992, Albuquerque, N.M.
After UCLA beat Indiana 87-72 to open the 1991-92 season in Springfield, Mass., it was difficult to imagine what would happen when the teams met again just over four months later.
Indiana completely flipped the script from that November night, as the Hoosiers beat the Bruins, 106-79, before 16,160 at the Pit in the final game of the West Regional.
Indiana missed 12 of their first 16 shots, but with UCLA struggling from the field as well, the Hoosiers were still able to start fast in the first half by building up a hefty rebounding margin.
Just as they had in the season opener, IU ran out to an early lead, this time 27-13.
But in the rematch, the Hoosiers just kept pouring it on.
It was all but over by halftime, with the Hoosiers leading, 44-29. IU head coach Bob Knight saw something at the end of halftime that informed him that the game might just be over.
“At the half, our kids ran up the ramp (leading to the locker rooms) and UCLA walked up,” Knight said
Their head coach’s instincts were right as Indiana cruised to the win and advanced to Final Four for the fifth time in 21 seasons under Knight.
“They beat us in every way, shape and form,” UCLA Coach Jim Harrick said of Indiana. “They played a great game.”
Calbert Cheaney led Indiana with 23 points to lead IU. The Hoosiers had five players in double figures including senior Eric Anderson who scored 17 points and was named the West Region most valuable player. Alan Henderson had 10 points and led IU with 12 rebounds.
IU had 23 assists and just 8 turnovers. The Hoosiers were led by Jamal Meeks with 9 assists.
Indiana made 57.6% of its shots, including 69.8% during the last 33 minutes. IU limited UCLA to 38.9% shooting and outrebounded the Bruins, 42-33.
It was the worst postseason loss in UCLA history.
Indiana advanced to play Duke in the national semifinal in Minneapolis.
Video Credit – Galen Clavio
- March 14: Indiana vs. Auburn (1987)
- March 14: Indiana vs. Maryland (1981)
- March 17: Four memorable games
- March 18: Indiana vs. Kansas (1953)
- March 19: Indiana vs. Kentucky (2016)
- March 20: Indiana vs. Duke (1987)
- March 21: Indiana vs. Duke (2002)
- March 21: Indiana vs. Purdue (1979)
- March 21: Indiana vs. LSU (1992)
- March 22: Indiana vs. North Carolina (1984)
- March 22: Indiana vs. LSU (1987)
- March 23: Indiana vs. Kent State (2002)
- March 24: Indiana vs. Temple (2013)
- March 25: Indiana vs. Louisville (1993)
- March 26: Indiana vs. Florida State (1992)
- March 27: Indiana vs. UCLA (1976)
- March 28: Indiana vs. UNLV (1987)
- March 28: Indiana vs. LSU (1981)
- March 28: Indiana vs. UCLA (1992)
- March 29: Indiana vs. Michigan (1976)
- March 30: Indiana vs. Kansas (1940)
- March 30: Indiana vs. North Carolina (1981)
- March 30: Indiana vs. Syracuse (1987)
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier