Indiana’s season opening opponent for the 2023-24 season was revealed on Thursday morning.
The Hoosiers will host Florida Gulf Coast from the ASUN Conference on Nov. 7, The Daily Hoosier can confirm.
While FGCU burst onto the scene in 2013 with a high-flying run-and-gun approach under Andy Enfield, the playing style for this squad should look quite a bit different when the teams tip at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.
Former Penn State head coach Pat Chambers is entering his second year leading the Eagles. Chambers built a reputation during his time at PSU for coaching tough-minded, physical and defensive oriented teams.
The Eagles were 17-15 in Chambers first season in charge of the Fort Myers, Fla. based team. They finished No. 185 overall according to KenPom.
Florida Gulf Coast was a problem in their season-opener a year ago in Chambers’ debut, when they traveled to USC and beat Enfield and the Trojans, 74-61.
The game will mark the second all-time meeting between the programs. Indiana defeated FGCU 88-60 in 2010.
FGCU is the 27th known game on next season’s schedule out of 31. Still to be determined are four non-conference foes. Here’s what we know so far.
Non-conference Schedule —
- vs. Florida Gulf Coast, Nov. 7 (Bloomington, Ind.)
- vs. Wright State, Nov. 16 (Bloomington, Ind.)
- Empire Classic, Nov. 19-20 (New York, N.Y.) — games vs. two of Louisville, UConn and Texas
- vs. Harvard, Nov. 26 (Indianapolis, Ind.)
- vs. Auburn, Dec. 9 (Atlanta, Ga.)
- vs. Kansas, Dec. 16 (Bloomington, Ind.)
Big Ten Schedule —
- Home: Iowa, Michigan State, Northwestern
Away: Illinois, Michigan, Rutgers
Home/Away: Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin
- Big Ten Tournament: Minneapolis, Minn.
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.