Game Day Essentials
Indiana (16-9, 7-8) at No. 18 Ohio State (16-7, 9-5)
- Tip Time: 7:00 p.m. Eastern
- Location: Value City Arena, Columbus, Ohio
- Television: FS1 (Brandon Gaudin and Jim Jackson)
- IU Radio Network: IU Radio Network
- Stream: Fox Sports Live
- Point Spread: Ohio State is a 7-point favorite
- KenPom Projected Score: Ohio State 72 Indiana 66
- Series: Indiana leads 109-87 and won 67-51 on Jan. 6
More Game Coverage
- Mind games: IU basketball at intersection of losing streak, time off, and NCAA drought
- Watch: Race Thompson and Miller Kopp Q&A as IU basketball prepares for Ohio State
- Watch: Mike Woodson Q&A as IU basketball prepares for Ohio State
- Rob Phinisee to miss matchup against Ohio State; Khristian Lander questionable
Ohio State Notes
KenPom rankings: Offense: No. 9 | Defense: No. 91 | Overall: No. 22
The Buckeyes have won the last three in the series with IU at home and six of the last eight overall.
The Buckeyes are second in the conference in field goal percentage at 47.9 percent and have shot 50 percent or better 11 times this season.
Ohio State is averaging 8.3 three-point field goals per game this season which is fourth in the Big Ten. The Buckeyes have 11 games this season with 10 or more three-pointers. They are shooting 37.6 percent from beyond the arc which is third in the conference.
Forward E.J. Liddell is fourth in the conference in scoring at 19.7 and recently moved into 10th in school history in career blocks with 119. He is averaging 2.6 blocks this season which is tops in the conference.
Point guard Jamari Wheeler has at least one steal in all but three games this year. He has 226 in his career which is now 10th all-time in Big Ten history.
Guard Malaki Branham was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week in back-to-back weeks on Jan. 3 and Jan. 10 after his performances against Nebraska, Indiana and Northwestern. Branham led the Buckeyes on Saturday vs. Iowa with 22 points and a season-high eight rebounds. He is averaging 11.2 points per game this season and 14.1 per game in Big Ten play.
Kyle Young grabbed five rebounds and scored 10 points vs. Iowa on Saturday. Monday night will be his 130th career game and he is 28 rebounds shy of 600 in his career.
Former Hoosier Joey Brunk went 2-of-2 from the floor and 2-of-2 from the line to finish with a season-high six points.
Ohio State head coach Chris Holtmann earned his 100th win as Ohio State head coach on Jan. 27, 2022 in a 75-64 win at Minnesota. Holtmann has won 20 games in each of his seasons at Ohio State and seems to be on his way again this season.
Three Keys from First Meeting
Below were our three keys to the first meeting, a 67-51 Indiana win on Jan. 6:
1. Jackson-Davis elite. In a showdown of potential first-team All-Big Ten performers, Trayce Jackson-Davis outdueled OSU’s E.J. Liddell. Jackson-Davis had 27 points and 12 rebounds just a few days after being called out publicly by head coach Mike Woodson for a perceived lack of effort on the boards against Penn State. Jackson-Davis added 5 blocks and made 5-of-6 free throws, and he did have 4 turnovers against 2 assists.
2. Shutdown defense. Indiana held Ohio State to 30.8 percent shooting from the field and forced 15 turnovers against 12 assists. Coming into the game the Buckeyes were top-25 nationally on both two and three-point shots. Indiana had 7 steals and 6 blocks overall and limited OSU to just 5 offensive rebounds and 10 points in the paint. Liddell was just 3-of-12 from the field and had 3 turnovers.
3. Free throws and turnovers. Earlier this week Woodson said Indiana had to shoot free throws better and commit less turnovers. They did both, making 15-of-18 from the line while committing just nine turnovers. Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson have historically struggled at the line but combined to go 10-of-11. Eight of the nine turnovers were committed by the forwards meaning Indiana’s backcourt had just one.
The 16-point margin was OSU’s worst loss of the season.
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.