Typically the best medicine after a tough loss is to get right back out on the floor. That’s exactly what IU is going to do on Tuesday night after Sunday’s heartbreaker at Arkansas.
Indiana returns to action against UT Arlington of the Sun Belt Conference, and the Mavericks are going to present a unique challenge for the injury plagued Hoosiers. Coming off extensive minutes against a high pressure defense, Indiana is about to get another dose of that medicine.
The primary players for UT Arlington that get meaningful minutes are all 6-foot-5 and under, and they look to play aggressive defense.
With IU’s guards coming off big minutes in Fayetteville, depleted in the back court, and about to play a team full of guards, don’t be surprised to see the walk-ons get some run in this one.
GAME DAY ESSENTIALS
UT Arlington Mavericks (3-1) at Indiana Hoosiers (3-1)
- Tip time: Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. Eastern
- Location: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (17,222)
- Television: BTN
- Tickets (Seat Geek affiliate link. Note — With it being Thanksgiving week, there are good deals to be had in the secondary ticket market)
ARCHIE MILLER ON UT ARLINGTON
Miller spoke about the Mavericks on his Monday night radio show:
“They’re good. I was watching them play today. I think they are the hardest playing team that we’ve played. They’re the scrappiest team that we’ve played. They are a little bit undersized, but they are full throttle in terms of denial defense, switching defense, a lot of the same stuff we saw at Arkansas but maybe not as much running and jumping, just more pressure.
Offensively they are little bit like Arkansas as well. They don’t run a lot of plays. There is a lot of movement and lot of motion, but five guys that are 6-foot-4 and under that can put it on the floor.”
Miller also discussed the health of his team on Monday night:
- Jerome Hunter — Miller indicated that Hunter is still in the hospital but is expected to rejoin the team this week. There is still no timetable for his return to the floor.
- Race Thompson — Still probably “a ways away with his concussion like symptoms.”
- Zach McRoberts — Still day to day. Not likely to play this week but should start seeing more activity with a possible return to action towards the end of November/early December.
- Devonte Green — Still day to day. Not likely to play this week but should start seeing more activity with a possible return to action towards the end of November/early December.
- UT Arlington is led by head coach Chris Ogden. He is in his first season with the Mavericks after serving as an assistant at Texas Tech, Tennessee and Texas.
- The Mavericks leading scorer, Brian Warren, is an Indianapolis native who attended Howe High School.
- Indiana is the top shooting team in the Big Ten making 55.6% of its shots through the first two weeks of the season. That figure ranks 3rd in the country.
- IU’s 63.6% shooting effort against Marquette was the best ever performance for an Archie Miller coached team in his eight seasons as a head coach. His team’s previous best came when Dayton beat George Mason and shot 62.9% in 2016.
- IU is averaging 88.0 points per game — a 14.8 points per game improvement after 4 games a year ago.
- Over the last two games, IU is 17-of-40 (.425) from long range.
- The Hoosiers are 7th in the country in three-point field goal defense. Opponents are shooting 20.4% from long range.
- After 4 games last year, Hoosier opponents were making 46.8 from long distance (44-of-94). In addition, IU is limiting opponents to 59.0 points per game after allowing 76.0 points per game after the same number of games a season ago.
- Romeo Langford was named Freshman of the Week by the Big Ten. He averaged 22.0 points, 7.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 2.0 steals and 1.5 blocks in two games for the Hoosiers last week.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosierFind us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
Want to receive all of our content via one e-mail in your inbox every day? It’s free. Join our daily mailing list here.Please consider supporting The Daily Hoosier by shopping on Amazon via this link to the Amazon home page or through the ad below.