Indiana University head football coach Tom Allen and offensive coordinator Mike DeBord met with the media on Monday to recap Saturday’s win over FIU and preview the upcoming contest on Saturday night against Virginia at Memorial Stadium.
Below are the topics that Allen covered:
- 17 total redshirt freshmen and true freshmen played in Saturday night’s game.
- Starting running back Cole Gest tore his ACL and is out for the season.
- 11 former IU players are on NFL rosters.
- Addressed the Gest injury and the running back position going forward.
- Allen was asked about his impressions of the defense on Saturday.
- Allen was asked about IU’s offensive line play.
- Addressed the current thinking with Michael Penix’s playing time.
- Discussed the clock management and decision not to kick a field goal before halftime.
- Talked about manager Matt Stauder and the game ball presentation.
- Addressed the play of the defensive line.
- Talked about new players that stood out to him during week one.
- Announced the players of the game.
- Discussed the practice schedule for Donovan Hale and role of Reese Taylor.
Mike DeBord addressed the following topics:
- Discussed the plan for utilizing Reese Taylor going forward.
- Assessed the tight end position.
- Mentioned newer players that impressed him during week one.
- Discussed Virginia’s defense.
- Addressed the quarterback play during week one.
- Assessed Donovan Hale’s progress and potential.
- Talked about Ronnie Walker’s development and path forward.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier