In 49 states, it’s just a game. In the state of Indiana, we need our own power rankings. Every week we’ll help settle the ongoing debate regarding who are the best college basketball teams in the state of Indiana.
Here are the state of Indiana NCAA Division 1 men’s college basketball power rankings for the week ended February 4, 2018:
Current Indiana teams in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology: Purdue (1), Butler (8).
1. Purdue Boilermakers (23-2, 12-0) (B1G) – There is no question about the Boilers being the top team, but should fans being worried after 3 straight close games, including against average to bad Indiana and Rutgers teams?
2. Butler Bulldogs (17-7, 7-4) (Big East) – The Bulldogs are rolling again after a mid-season slump, although admittedly they’ve had an easier schedule of late.
3. Fort Wayne Mastodons (16-10, 5-4) (Summit) – The Mastodons are back to their winning ways with two victories last week. They are making a late push for the NIT and they leap back over the Hoosiers.
4. Indiana Hoosiers (12-12, 5-7) (B1G) – They just keep losing and yet we just keep believing they are at least the 4th best team in the state. Again though, that may be more about the lack of depth in the state this year.
5. Ball State Cardinals (14-9, 5-5) (MAC) – The Cardinals are an enigma after knocking off MAC West leader Toledo and then only managing 41 points in a loss to Eastern Michigan.
6. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (13-10, 3-7) (ACC) – In the words of the late great Tom Petty, the Irish are free-falling without Bonzie Colson. They’ve now lost 7 in a row.
7. Evansville Purple Aces (15-10, 5-7) (MVC) – The Aces earn a split on the week after a tough loss to Illinois State.
8. Indiana State Sycamores (11-13, 6-6) (MVC) – They didn’t help their in-state stature with a loss to Valpo, but they did manage a win over MVC bottom feeder UNI.
9. Valparaiso Crusaders (12-13, 3-9) (MVC) – A nice home win over Indiana State wasn’t enough to pass the Sycamores in the standings as they split the season series and remain in last place in the MVC.
10. IUPUI Jaguars (7-16, 4-8) (Horizon)- The Jags show no signs of digging out of last place here with two more losses on the week.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier