In 49 states, it’s just a game. In the state of Indiana, we need our own power rankings. Every week we’ll help settle the ongoing debate as to who are the best college basketball teams in the state of Indiana.
Here are the state of Indiana NCAA Division 1 men’s college basketball power rankings for the week ended January 21st, 2018:
Current Indiana teams in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology: Purdue (1), Butler (9), Notre Dame (11)
1. Purdue Boilermakers (19-2, 9-0) (B1G) – While unfortunate, this one is easy. Purdue has been dominant and has the look of a final 4 team. At this point Hoosier fans can only hope that they revert back to their traditional March form.
2. Butler Bulldogs (14-7, 4-4) (Big East) – The highs of beating #1 Villanova have faded and the Big East grind is beating up the Bulldogs. Losers of 4 of 6, Butler needs to right the ship to avoid the NCAA bubble.
3. Fort Wayne Mastodons (14-9, 3-3) (Summit) – Their big win over Indiana is looking like it says more about Indiana than Fort Wayne, which is a disappointment to both programs.
4. Ball State Cardinals (12-7, 3-3) (MAC) – The Cardinals have defeated all 4 in-state opponents that they’ve faced, but they’ve been struggling in the MAC, losing 3 of 5. They are about to fall to the bottom half here.
5. Indiana Hoosiers (11-8, 4-3) (B1G) – With frontcourt players dropping like flies, yes, things can get worse with a difficult stretch of the schedule upcoming.
6. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (13-7, 3-4) (ACC) – Irish eyes are crying after a 4 game tailspin in the ACC. In state losses to Ball State and Indiana don’t help here either. We suspect Mike Brey will right the ship with Matt Farrell getting healthier.
7. Indiana State Sycamores (10-10, 5-3) (MVC) – We know, we know Sycamore fans. You crushed Indiana. We get it. But that’s all you’ve done. At some point that becomes a fluke. That time is now.
8. Valparaiso Crusaders (11-10, 2-6) (MVC) – After an 8-0 start they’ve gone 3-10 since. The good news, fellow MVC basement dweller Evansville is coming up.
9. Evansville Purple Aces (12-9, 2-6) (MVC) – The 5-0 start a distant memory, the Purple Aces are barely treading water in the tough MVC.
10. IUPUI Jaguars (7-13, 4-5) (Horizon)- Remember how bad Youngstown State was? Yeah, they just beat IUPUI by 23.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier