It’s game week for Indiana football, and the final questions regarding starters, depth and rotation have become clearer today with the latest release of the two-deep depth chart.
Below is our summary of the noteworthy updates from the latest iteration of the depth chart. You can also listen to Coach Tom Allen discuss several aspects of it at today’s press conference here.
You can see the full two-deep depth chart below.
- Still uncertainty at Center. The latest depth chart lists Hunter Littlejohn “or” Nick Linder. The rest of the offensive line is consistent with expectations with Wes Martin, Coy Cronk, Simon Stepaniak and Brandon Knight shown as the starters.
- At wide receiver Luke Timian and Whop Philyor are shown at the same position with Timian on top. Tom Allen clarified that while they will both play the slot, both will also see the field at the same time.
- Ty Fryfogle is shown as the starting 3rd receiver which may surprise some that expected Donovan Hale. A new name to many, Chris Gajcak, shows up behind Fryfogle, with Hale behind Nick Westbrook.
- With the news that Brandon Dawkins has left the program, it comes as no surprise as that Michael Penix is shown as the backup quarterback. Allen indicated that it would not come as a surprise if Penix sees the field on Saturday.
- In today’s press conference Allen indicated that freshman and Indiana football Reese Taylor is moving back to quarterback. He had been working as a cornerback and receiver at fall camp.
- With Morgan Ellison suspended indefinitely, the new running back depth chart is (1) Cole Gest, (2) Mike Majette and (3) Ricky Brookins.
- Allen indicated that Ellison’s suspension is “out of his hands” and he doesn’t know if the sophomore will be reinstated.
- Peyton Hendershot is the starting tight end. Ryan Watercutter is dealing with an injury.
- Gavin Everett, the recent recipient of a scholarship is shown as a starting defensive end.
- Ja’merez Bowen is shown as starting at defensive tackle ahead of both Mike Barwick and Kayton Samuels.
- Reakwon Jones and Dameon Willis are the starting linebackers, with coach’s son Thomas Allen as a second stringer.
- A’Shon Riggins and Raheem Layne still appear to be battling for a starting cornerback job.
- Khalil Bryant has hung on to the other safety position alongside Jonathan Crawford. Byrant has been pushed by freshmen Bryant Fitzgerald and Devon Matthews who appear to be tied behind him.
- Logan Justus is the starting field goal/extra point kicker. He beat out true freshman Charles Campbell.
- Jared Smolar is expected to be the kickoff specialist.
- The kickoff returners are Mike Majette and Cole Gest.
- J-Shun Harris is the punt returner.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier