The Indiana football program honored linebacker Micah McFadden and quarterback Michael Penix Jr. as the Anthony Thompson Most Valuable Players at the program’s 2020 awards ceremony on Thursday evening.
Quarterback Jack Tuttle earned the LEO Award, while running back Davion Ervin-Poindexter and wide receiver Christian Harris received the inaugural Chris Beaty Outstanding Walk-On Players of the Year Award. Beaty, an IU defensive lineman from 2000-03 and Indianapolis Cathedral High School graduate, was tragically shot and killed on May 30, 2020.
“It was a tremendous honor to recognize our inaugural recipients of the Chris Beaty Award this evening, Christian Harris and Davion Ervin-Poindexter!” head coach Tom Allen wrote on Twitter on Thursday evening. “Chris Beaty was an Amazing Hoosier and he will forever be remembered by our program.”
Below is a list of all the Indiana 2020 award winners:
- Offensive Newcomer of the Year: Mike Katic
- Defensive Newcomer of the Year: C.J. Person
- Ted Whereatt “Senior Academic Excellence” Award: Harry Crider
- Ted Verlihay “Mental Attitude” Award: Matt Bjorson, Devon Matthews
- Corby Davis Memorial Award (Outstanding Back): Jamar Johnson, Stevie Scott III
- Howard Brown “Dedication to IU Football” Award: Haydon Whitehead
- Chris Dal Sasso Award (Outstanding Lineman): Harry Crider, Jerome Johnson
- Harold Mauro “Loyalty to IU Football” Award: Jeremy Boyd
- Offensive Scout Team Players of the Year: Ricky Tamis, Trey Walker
- Defensive Scout Team Players of the Year: Beau Robbins, DeKaleb Thomas
- Special Teams Scout Team Players of the Year: Chris Childers, McCall Ray
- Chris Beaty Outstanding Walk-On Players of the Year: Davion Ervin-Poindexter, Christian Harris
- Special Teams Player of the Year: Reese Taylor
- Most Outstanding Specialist of the Year: Charles Campbell
- Most Outstanding Offensive Player of the Year: Ty Fryfogle
- Most Outstanding Defensive Player of the Year: Tiawan Mullen
- Most Outstanding Player – Outback Bowl: Whop Philyor
- Team Captains: Marcelino Ball, Harry Crider, Cam Jones, Micah McFadden, Michael Penix Jr.
- LEO Award: Jack Tuttle
- Anthony Thompson Most Valuable Players: Micah McFadden, Michael Penix Jr.
2021 team — it's your turn to write the script. pic.twitter.com/N3AUdCLxFM
— Indiana Football (@IndianaFootball) April 2, 2021
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier