For the first time this season, this one has a win or bust feel to it.
With a win over Maryland, Indiana gets to four wins with a couple more gettable games still out on the horizon.
But with a loss, the climb to six wins and bowl eligibility seems almost impossible.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Hoosiers’ week seven matchup.
MARYLAND (4-2, 1-2) at INDIANA (3-3, 1-2)
- Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. Eastern, Saturday
- Location: Bloomington, Ind., Memorial Stadium (52,656; field turf)
- Television: ESPN2 — Anish Shroff (pbp), Brock Osweiler (analyst), Taylor McGregor (sideline)
- Stream: Watch ESPN
- Radio: IU Football radio network
- Odds: Maryland is an 11-point favorite
- Weather at kickoff: 61 degrees, sunny, wind 8 mph, 0% chance of precipitation.
- Series: Indiana leads 7-3 (UM won 38-35 in 2021)
- The Coaches:
Tom Allen is in his sixth year as the head coach at IU. He holds a 29-35 record.
Mike Locksley has a 19-51 overall record in eight years as a head coach, including a 17-25 mark in five years at Maryland.
IU Football Week Six Coverage:
- Indiana football facing important game against improved Maryland squad
- IU football’s top and bottom five players halfway through the season according to PFF
- Watch: IU football coach Tom Allen with final thoughts on Maryland
- Bloomington’s Aaron Steinfeldt showing potential as IU contends with injuries at tight end
- IU football coach Tom Allen radio show: Maryland week
- Watch: IU football QB Connor Bazelak on the offensive line and how he can improve
- No magic wand: Rod Carey takes over IU football’s offensive line with no time to settle in
- Watch: IU football coach Tom Allen Monday Q&A session — Maryland week
- Watch: New IU football offensive line coach Rod Carey media Q&A
Indiana has several key players in the game time decision category on Saturday, including wide receiver D.J. Matthews, tight end A.J. Barner, and cornerback Jaylin Williams.
Wide receiver Javon Swinton is expected to return after missing last week, as is guard Kahlil Benson.
Linebacker Cam Jones is out for several weeks with a foot injury.
Offensive tackle Matthew Bedford is out for the season.
TALE OF THE TAPE
THE COMPLETE BIG TEN WEEK SEVEN SLATE
|Bloomington, Ind. (Conf.)||TV: ESPN2 Stats Radio: IU Radio Network Video|
|Ann Arbor, Mich. (Conf.)||TV: Fox Stats Radio: Penn State Sports Network Video|
|Champaign, Ill. (Conf.)||TV: BTN Stats Radio: KFAN 100.3 FM Video|
|East Lansing, MI (Conf.)||TV: FOX Stats Radio: Spartan Media Network|
|West Lafayette, Ind. (Conf.)||TV: BTN Stats Radio: WAZY (96.5 FM) Video|
MARYLAND RESULTS AND LEADERS
- BUFFALO W, 31-10
- at Charlotte W, 56-21
- SMU W, 34-27
- at Michigan L, 27-34
- MICHIGAN STATE W, 27-13
- PURDUE L, 29-31
2022 STATISTICAL LEADERS
- QB Taulia Tagovailoa has established himself as one of the top quarterbacks in the country, currently top-25 in the
nation in completion percentage (74.1), completions per game (24.3), passing yards (1,731), total offense (303.2) and passing efficiency (161.3). Tagovailoa currently has the fifth-best single season completion percentage in FBS history.
- RB Roman Hemby has the third-most yards from scrimmage of any FBS freshman, totaling 595 through five games.
- TE Corey Dyches has the sixth-most receiving yards (322) of any FBS tight end.
- Maryland has seven players that have amassed 10+ receptions this season (Rakim Jarrett, 24; Corey Dyches, 22; Roman Hemby, 20; Jeshaun Jones, 19; Jacob Copeland, 16; CJ Dippre, 15 & Dontay Demus Jr., 11) tied with Indiana for the most in the Big Ten.
- Top Passer: Taulia Tagovailoa / 146-for-197 / 1731 yds / 11 TDs
- Top Rusher: Roman Hemby / 395 yds / 6.2 yds/c / 3 TDs
- Top Rec.: Corey Dyches / 22 rec. / 322 yds / 14.6 ypc / 3 TDs
- Top Tackler: Beau Brade / 46TT / 3 TFL / 4 PBU / 1 FF / 1 INT
Maryland’s pass defense does seem to present an opportunity for IU quarterback Connor Bazelak to finally find an all-game rhythm, if his offensive line will let him.
And Indiana’s defense played reasonably well against Michigan.
But this is an Indiana football team that hasn’t done much of anything to earn trust halfway through the season.
TDH: MARYLAND 31 INDIANA 27
ESPN SP+ (Computer) Maryland 36 Indiana 21
ESPN FPI: Indiana 20 percent chance to win
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”