This one needs to end up in the win column.
Indiana concludes its nonconference schedule with a Saturday evening tilt with Akron.
Coming off a loss to Louisville, the Hoosiers hope to get back to .500 before returning to Big Ten action.
Here’s everything you need to know about IU’s week four matchup against the Zips.
AKRON (1-2) at INDIANA (1-2)
- Kickoff: 7:30 p.m. Eastern, Saturday
- Location: Bloomington, Ind., Memorial Stadium (52,626; field turf)
- Television: BTN — Connor Onion (pbp), Adam Breneman (analyst), Dannie Rogers (sideline)
- Stream: Fox Sports
- Radio: IU Football radio network
- Odds: Indiana is a 17-point favorite
- Weather at kickoff: 72 degrees, sunny, wind 4 mph, 0% chance of precipitation.
- Series: Indiana leads 3-0
- The Coaches:
- Tom Allen is in his seventh year as the head coach at IU. He holds a 31-42 record.
- Joe Moorhead is 3-12 in his second year at Akron, and 55-37 overall
Chip on our shoulder. Something to prove. pic.twitter.com/yaXWEMjdWq
— Indiana Football (@IndianaFootball) September 22, 2023
IU Football Week Four Coverage:
- ‘This is who you are’: Chris Freeman’s soccer background pays dividends for IU football
- Watch: IU football co-DC Matt Guerrieri Q&A – Akron week
- Radio Show: Tom Allen previews Akron with Don Fischer
- Things didn’t go well the last time IU football wore black
- Watch: IU football’s Jackson, Smith, Blidi, Moore and Freeman Q&As — Akron week
- IU football notebook: Reviewing defensive, running game issues from Louisville
- Look: IU football to debut “Ghost uniforms” vs. Akron
- Watch: IU football coach Tom Allen with Monday recap of Louisville, preview of Akron
- This edition of IU football seems legitimately improved — but will their record show it?
TALE OF THE TAPE
THE COMPLETE BIG TEN WEEK FOUR SLATE
|West Lafayette, IN (Conf.)||TV: FS1 Stats Radio: WAZY (96.5 FM) Video|
|South Bend, Ind.|
|Ann Arbor, Mich. (Conf.)||TV: Big Ten Network Stats Radio: WFAN 101.9-FM, FOX Sports New Jersey 93.5-FM/1450-AM, SiriusXM 158 or 196, SXM app, Audacy app, Scarlet Knights app Video|
|East Lansing, MI (Conf.)||TV: NBC Stats Radio: Spartan Media Network Audio Video|
|Champaign, Ill.||TV: Big Ten Network Stats|
|Bloomington, Ind.||TV: BTN Stats Radio: Indiana Sports Radio Network|
|University Park, Pa. (Conf.)||TV: CBS Stats Radio: Penn State Sports Network|
|Evanston, IL (Conf.)||TV: BTN Stats Radio: WGN Radio 720 Video|
Akron is coming off a 35-3 loss at Kentucky last weekend. The Zips trailed just 14-3 in the third quarter. QB DJ Irons threw for 130 yards, completing 23 of 34 passes.
The Zips won the turnover battle in Saturday’s game, forcing three turnovers while coughing the ball up one time.
Akron also lost at Temple 24-21, and defeated Morgan State 24-21.
Akron returns eight offensive starters and seven defensive starters:
(Stats from 2022)
• Akron returns its top-three tacklers in Nate Thompson (73 tackles, 38 solo, 35 assists, 2 TFL), Darrian Lewis (56 tackles, 30 solo, 26 assists, 3/5 TFL) and KJ Martin (53 tackles, 30 solo, 23 assists, 3 TFL)
• Akron returns its top-two quarterbacks in DJ Irons (253-379-7, 2,606, 10 TD) and Jeff Undercuffler (70-120-5, 791 yards, 5 TD)
• Akron returns its leading rusher in DJ Irons (133 carries, 314 yards, 4 TD)
• Akron returns three of its top-four leading receivers in Alex Adams (63 catches, 856 yards, 9 TD), Daniel George (67 catches, 793 yards, 2 TD), TJ Banks (21 catches, 175 yards, 0 TD)
Indiana has won each of the previous three meetings against Akron by double digits.
The Hoosiers are 39-8-1 all-time against Mid-American Conference programs.
Akron has lost eight straight games against Power Five programs since a 39-34 victory at Northwestern on Sept. 15, 2018
This one falls in the must win category if Indiana has any hope of reaching bowl eligibility. There will be sluggish moments, and it will take some time to put the Zips away, but in the end, the Hoosiers win comfortably.
TDH PREDICTION: INDIANA 31 AKRON 6
ESPN SP+ (Computer) Indiana 34 Akron 17
ESPN FPI (Computer): Indiana has a 91.7 percent chance to win