LAWRENCE, Kan. — Indiana lost to Kansas on Saturday by a final score of 84-62 at the Allen Fieldhouse.
The Hoosiers were led in the game by Trayce Jackson-Davis with 13 points. Race Thompson and Jalen Hood-Schifino had 11 apiece. Kansas led 44-29 at halftime.
Indiana (8-3) will return to action on Tuesday when they face Elon at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in Bloomington.
THREE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Jumped at the start again. In what appeared to be a repeat of the Arizona game, Indiana fell behind early and things snowballed quickly. A 12-2 Kansas lead forced an IU timeout, and the margin ballooned to 42-20 with 2:32 left in the first half. Indiana was in catch-up mode the rest of the way, and they never got back to within double-figures. The Hoosiers were a step slow defensively and could do little right on the offensive end to open the game.
2. Nothing in the paint. Kansas kept Indiana from scoring its preferred way — in the paint. The Jayhawks cut off driving lanes and doubled every time the ball entered the post. The strategy limited Trayce Jackson-Davis to just eight shots for the game. KU outscored the Hoosiers 50-24, a complete inversion of how IU wants to play. Although they’ve struggled to rebound the basketball early in the season, Kansas held a 35-32 advantage on the glass.
3. Give it away, give it away, give it away now. Indiana had a season high 23 turnovers on the day at the Allen Fieldhouse, against just 13 assists. 14 came in the decisive first half. Most of the miscues came in the form of bad passes and dribbling into traffic. Kansas had 17 steals on the day and scored 28 points off IU giveaways. Even when they didn’t cough it up, the Hoosiers were still inefficient offensively. They made just 20-of-53 shots, good for just 37.7 percent.
FINAL BOX SCORE AND SPECIALTY STATS
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.