WEST LAFAYETTE — Indiana defeated Purdue on Saturday evening by a final score of 79-71 at Mackey Arena. The Hoosiers completed their first sweep of Purdue since 2013.
Purdue led 38-34 at halftime. Indiana was led in the game by Jalen Hood-Schifino with 35 points. Miller Kopp and Trey Galloway added 13 points apiece. That trio combined to make 7-of-13 from three.
Indiana (20-9, 11-7) will next host Iowa on Tuesday in Bloomington at 7 p.m. ET.
See also: Mike Woodson, Trayce Jackson-Davis and Jalen Hood-Schifino post-game video
THREE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Hood-Schifino is a pro. Jalen Hood-Schifino surgically dissected Purdue’s defense on Saturday evening. The freshman point guard scored 35 points on 14-of-24 shooting. It was a career high for Hood-Schifino and the second most points ever scored in a game by an IU freshman. He played the full 40 minutes and added seven rebounds while making 6-of-7 from the line. With Purdue dropping their defense to try to eliminate Trayce Jackson-Davis, Hood-Schifino hit hard shot after hard shot from the mid-range — and he made it look effortless.
2. Elite second half defense. Indiana held Purdue to 30.3 percent shooting in the second half. The made just 3-of-15 from three after the break, and two of those makes came in the last minute when the game decided. For the game IU caused All-American Zach Edey to be inefficient with an 8-of-17 shooting effort. Much like the first meeting, no one else for Purdue had a big scoring night.
3. Poise under pressure. In a heated rivalry game in one of the toughest venues in the country, Indiana committed just eight turnovers, made 10-of-12 free throws, and shot 47 percent (7-of-15) from three. After falling behind by as much as seven in the first half, the Hoosiers opened the second half on a 17-4 run. After claiming a 59-48 lead with 10:33 remaining, Indiana never let Purdue back within eight for the rest of the game.
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.