Indiana defeated Maryland by a final score of 68-55 at the XFINITY Center in College Park, Md. on Saturday afternoon.
IU put together one of its most complete efforts of the season and earned their second true road win. They led 33-26 at halftime and were led in the game by Race Thompson with 18 points and 12 rebounds.
The Hoosiers (16-5, 7-4) will have a week off before hosting Illinois next Saturday.
Watch: Mike Woodson discusses the win over Maryland | Thompson and Lander post-game
THREE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Hoosiers shut down Maryland’s big three. Indiana had a dominant defensive effort on the road and forced Maryland stars Eric Ayala, Donta Scott and Fatts Russell into a 6-of-31 shooting day. The Hoosiers held Maryland to 28.6 percent shooting and forced 13 turnovers and had six blocks. The Terps scored just .821 points per possession. Trey Galloway helped hold down Ayala in 25 minutes off the bench and added two steals.
2. Dominance in the paint. Led by Trayce Jackson-Davis and Race Thompson, Indiana outscored Maryland 36-20 in the paint. Each player was 7-of-12 from the field as Thompson had 18 points and 12 rebounds while Jackson-Davis had 17 and 9. Jordan Geronimo came off the bench to score six points and add eight rebounds and two blocks in 18 minutes. On the other end Maryland made just 10-of-29 from 2-point range.
3. Led by X, the ball moved. Indiana had 17 assists on 26 field goals. Senior starting point guard Xavier Johnson tied a season high with nine assists playing minutes from his hometown. He facilitated off the move including an important dunk by Jackson-Davis to end the first half. After a slow start the Hoosiers made 5-of-11 from three in the second half. Jackson-Davis passed well out of the post and had three assists. Galloway had two assists off the bench. Indiana had just 10 turnovers on the day.
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.