Below is the Indiana men’s basketball roster for the 2019-20 season.
A few notes about this year’s roster:
- There are 16 total players on the roster vs. 17 last year. Indiana is carrying just 11 of 13 available scholarship players and five walk-ons at this time. IU had four walk-ons last year.
- There is a total of eight new players this year including the walk-ons.
- The Hoosiers have good class balance with three each of freshmen, sophomores, and juniors plus two seniors from an eligibility perspective for scholarship players.
- 8 of the 16 players hail from the state of Indiana.
- There is a positional imbalance, with just four scholarship guards along with seven scholarship forwards.
- Indiana has three players (Davis, Brunk, Jackson-Davis) that are 6-foot-9 or taller, and all three weigh at least 245. All three will see extensive playing time, giving Indiana “Big Ten size” as Archie Miller has referred to it.
- Noteworthy weight gainers from last year’s IU roster: Damezi Anderson (+10), Rob Phinisee (+8), Race Thompson (+7), and Jerome Hunter (+6).
- Graduate transfer Joey Brunk was listed at 230 pounds on Butler’s roster last year. He is at 245 this year.
- True freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis already weighing 245 is also particularly noteworthy
- Walk-on Cooper Bybee steps right into the No. 0 worn by Romeo Langford, becoming the fourth player to wear that jersey number for IU.
- Walk-on Nate Childress becomes the first active player to wear No. 14 since Magnus Pelkowski in 1989.
- Brunk becomes the first person to wear No. 50 since Jeff Newton (2003), and only the fourth ever. For the second straight year IU will have a player with a number of 50 or higher after having none since 2007 (Earl Calloway).
- Armaan Franklin’s No. 2 and Jackson-Davis’ No. 4 were worn last year by Johnny Jager and Jake Forrester, respectively.
- There are four staff updates as well:
- Of course Mike Roberts is a new assistant coach.
- Former graduate manager Drew Gladstone returns as a team and recruitment analyst.
- Former walk-on Johnny Jager returns as a graduate manager.
- Former Dayton player under Archie Miller Jack Westerfield joins as a graduate manager.
We will keep this page up on our main menu under the men’s basketball drop down. Links to individual player previews will be added as the season draws closer.
|0||Cooper Bybee||6-1||185||Guard||Junior (WO)||Ellettsville, IN|
|1||Al Durham||6-4||185||Guard||Junior||Lilburn, GA|
|2||Armaan Franklin||6-4||195||Guard||Freshman||Indianapolis, IN|
|3||Justin Smith||6-7||230||Forward||Junior||Buffalo Grove, IL|
|4||Trayce Jackson-Davis||6-9||245||Forward||Freshman||Greenwood, IN|
|5||Michael Shipp||6-3||185||Guard||Freshman (WO)||Cincinnati, OH|
|10||Rob Phinisee||6-1||190||Guard||Sophomore||Lafayette, IN|
|11||Devonte Green||6-3||185||Guard||Senior||North Babylon, NY|
|14||Nathan Childress||6-6||210||Forward||Freshman (WO)||Zionsville, IN|
|15||Adrian Chapman||6-2||190||Guard||Senior (WO)||Brownsburg, IN|
|20||De'Ron Davis||6-10||255||Forward||Senior||Park Hill, CO|
|21||Jerome Hunter||6-7||220||Forward||R-Freshman||Pickerington, OH|
|22||Jacquez Henderson||6-2||185||Guard||Junior (WO)||Winter Park, FL|
|23||Damezi Anderson||6-7||225||Forward||Sophomore||South Bend, IN|
|25||Race Thompson||6-8||235||Forward||R-Sophomore||Plymouth, MN|
|50||Joey Brunk||6-11||245||Forward||R-Junior||Indianapolis, IN|
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no additional cost to you.