August 31 was the day NFL teams mandatorily had to be down to a 53-man roster.
Below is a summary of the current status of the former IU players who were competing for roster spots across the league.
- Rodger Saffold will continue as the longest tenured Hoosier in the NFL as he returns for year 12 overall and his third with Tennessee.
- Nick Westbrook-Ikhine will continue as Saffold’s teammate in Nashville for a second season.
- Tevin Coleman will play his first season with the New York Jets and seventh in the NFL.
- Dan Feeney will also play his first season with the Jets, and his fifth in the NFL.
- Ian Thomas will be back for a fourth season with the Carolina Panthers.
- Brandon Knight is back with the Cowboys for a third season.
- Jason Spriggs will play his first season with the Atlanta Falcons and sixth in the NFL.
- Jamar Johnson is the newest Hoosier in the NFL. The fifth round draft choice made the Denver Broncos 53-man roster.
The following players were waived and are eligible to be signed by other teams or to practice rosters.
- Nate Sudfeld was released by the 49ers. (Update: He was signed to San Francisco’s practice squad)
- Jordan Howard was released by the Eagles. (Update: He was signed to Philadelphia’s practice squad)
- Wes Martin was released by Washington, where he spent two seasons. (Update: He was signed to Washington’s practice squad)
- Tegray Scales was released by the Browns. He started camp with the Steelers where he saw his first NFL action in 2020.
- Whop Philyor was released by the Vikings. (Update: He was signed to the Minnesota practice squad)
- Stevie Scott was released by the Broncos.
- Jovan Swann was released by the Ravens
- Harry Crider was released by the Eagles last week.
- Simon Stepaniak retired from football last month. He was drafted by Green Bay in 2020 and never played due to injury.
- Robert McCray was cut by the Lions a week ago.
- Jerome Johnson was cut by the Miami Dophins earlier in the month.
- Recent Hoosiers in the NFL Chris Covington and Dan Godsil are also not with teams at this time.
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no additional cost to you.