Believe it or not, we are less than four weeks away from Selection Sunday 2023, and with that it is time begin our weekly look at where IU basketball stands in the eyes of the bracketologists.
With six regular season games plus the Big Ten Tournament remaining, Indiana (18-7, 9-5) is solidly in the NCAA Tournament field at this point. But with a minimum of seven games to go, there is still a wide range of possibilities when it comes to where IU might land in the 2023 March Madness bracket.
Because bracketology is such in inexact art, our preferred resource is aggregator Bracket Matrix, which compiles and averages more than 85 prognostications to produce something resembling a national consensus.
Through Sunday, Indiana’s average at Bracket Matrix is a No. 5 seed. They appear in all 86 brackets. The current No. 12 seeds who could potentially be matched up against IU are College of Charleston, Oral Roberts, Liberty and Southern Miss.
Among the predictions at Bracket Matrix updated through Sunday, Indiana’s most favorable outlook is a No. 3 seed, and least favorable is No. 5. Bracket Matrix can be a bit behind the trend because not every bracketologist updates on the same schedule. The current trend seems to be that Indiana is now a No. 4 seed according to those who have updated after the Michigan game.
Here’s where Indiana currently stands in the eyes of some of the better known bracketologists:
- CBS’ Jerry Palm – No. 4 seed (updated today)
- Bart Torvik – No. 3 seed (updated today)
- ESPN’s Joe Lunardi – No. 5 seed (not updated since IU’s win over Michigan)
- FOX’s Mike DeCourcy – No. 5 seed (not updated since IU’s win over Michigan)
- Indiana based Delphi Bracketology – No. 5 seed (not updated since IU’s win over Michigan)
The 2022-23 men’s basketball season marks the fifth season of the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings, which replaced the RPI prior to the 2018-19 campaign as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams.
The NCAA Tournament Committee uses the NET to facilitate the selection of the field. The Hoosiers are currently No. 17 according to the NET. Last season’s No. 17 team UConn was a No. 5 seed in the field.
Using the quadrant system for the NET, the quality of wins and losses is organized based on game location and the opponent’s NET ranking.
- Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
- Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
- Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
- Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
Here is Indiana’s current record this season by quadrant:
- Quadrant 1: 5-6
- Quadrant 2: 3-1
- Quadrant 3: 3-0
- Quadrant 4: 7-0
Here is Indiana’s remaining schedule:
- at Northwestern (Quadrant 1)
- vs. Illinois (Quadrant 1)
- at Michigan State (Quadrant 1)
- at Purdue (Quadrant 1)
- vs. Iowa (Quadrant 2)
- vs. Michigan (Quadrant 2)
You can always find links to the latest NET rankings and other national ranking sites and services here:
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”