Selection Sunday is just under three weeks away, and with IU basketball in the mix The Daily Hoosier will check in each week to see where they stand in the eyes of the bracketologists.
Our favorite resource for bracket predictions is bracketmatrix.com, an aggregation site that compiles dozens of prognostications and produces an average.
As it stands on Saturday, Feb. 19 at Bracket Matrix, Indiana is in the field as a No. 11 seed. While a couple days old, this still directionally reflects where IU stands since they didn’t play over the weekend. That reflects a one seed drop after a loss to Wisconsin, and a four seed drop overall as a result of a four game losing streak. It is fair to now call the Hoosiers a bubble team.
The most favorable outlets have Indiana as No. 8 seed, and the worst No. 12. More than a dozen outlets now have IU completely out of the field The average seed right now for Indiana is 10.45. They are the top No. 11 seed.
Some of the best known bracketologists include:
- ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has IU as a No. 10 seed (updated Friday)
- CBS’s Jerry Palm has IU as a No. 11 (updated today)
- Indiana based Delphi Bracketology has IU as a No. 12 (updated Friday)
- Bart Torvik has the Hoosiers as a No. 10 (updated today)
The 2021-22 men’s basketball season marks the fourth season of the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings, which replaced the RPI prior to the 2018-19 season as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams.
The NCAA Tournament Committee uses the NET to facilitate the selection of the field. The Hoosiers are currently No. 43 in today’s NET rankings, a drop of two spots since our update last week. Last season’s No. 43 team St. Louis did not make the tournament.
Using the quadrant system for the NET, the quality of wins and losses is organized based on game location and the opponent’s NET ranking.
- Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
- Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
- Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
- Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
Indiana (16-9, 7-8) has not made the NCAA Tournament since 2016. Here is their record this season by quadrant:
- Quadrant 1: 2-5
- Quadrant 2: 3-4
- Quadrant 3: 3-0
- Quadrant 4: 8-0
Here is Indiana’s remaining schedule:
- at Ohio State (Quadrant 1)
- vs. Maryland (Quadrant 3)
- at Minnesota (Quadrant 2)
- vs. Rutgers (Quadrant 3)
- at Purdue (Quadrant 1)
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.