With a full spring and summer of travel basketball in the books, all three (On3, 247Sports, Rivals) of the major national recruiting outlets have updated their player rankings for the class of 2023.
On3 made their update a few weeks ago, and 247Sports and Rivals both published updates this week.
Indiana has two verbal commits in the senior class — combo guard Jakai Newton and point guard Gabe Cupps. Most of IU’s main remaining targets in the class have committed elsewhere at this point, with the exception of forward/center Arrinten Page out of Georgia.
Here is a look at where the three publications placed Newton, Cupps and Page in their updates.
Newton got off to a strong this spring but he suffered an injury and did not play into the summer. Still, Newton held firm in the national rankings. He is a 4-star prospect according to all three outlets.
- On3 – No. 68 / No. 14 SG
- 247 – No. 87 / No. 17 CG
- Rivals – No. 64 / No. 13 SG
Cupps has been fairly consistently ranked right around No. 100 by all the major outlets for a while now. He is a 4-star according to all three.
- On3 – No. 95 / No. 16 PG
- 247 – No. 107 / No. 16 PG
- Rivals – No. 122 / No. 27 PG
Page can be inconsistent, and that may be why there is a wide range of opinions, with On3 being the outlier. He is a 3-star at On3, and a 4-star at the other two outlets.
- On3 – No. 121 / No. 23 PF
- 247 – No. 60 / No. 8 C
- Rivals – No. 57 / No. 12 PF
For the masochistic crowd, here is a look at where some of IU’s top misses in the 2023 class stand, all according to the 247Sports Composite, which aggregates and averages all three sites along with ESPN. It should be noted that ESPN has not updated for 2023, so some of the late-risers like T.J. Power and Xavier Booker are still lagging behind as a result. Booker was recently ranked the No. 1 overall player by Rivals, while 247Sports put Power at No. 22.
- KJ Evans (Oregon) – No. 9
- Andrej Stojakovic (undecided) – No. 20
- Reed Sheppard (Kentucky) – No. 23
- Jeremy Fears (Michigan State) – No. 38
- TJ Power (undecided) – No 52
- Kaleb Glenn (Louisville) – No. 53
- Coen Carr (Michigan State) – No. 54
- Xavier Booker (Michigan State) – No. 59
- Jamie Kaiser (Maryland) – No. 96
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”