Romeo Langford has become the 26th all-time first round draft choice from Indiana University.
The New Albany, Ind. native was selected by the Boston Celtics with the No. 14 pick in the first round of the 2019 NBA Draft.
Playing through his lone season at Indiana with a dislocated thumb, questions were raised about his ability as a perimeter shooter.
In the end, Langford ended up where he expected to be before he arrived in Bloomington — a lottery pick.
With the 14th pick, the Celtics select Romeo Langford ☘️ pic.twitter.com/vK6TujTRsl
— Boston Celtics (@celtics) June 21, 2019
Although the thumb injury created doubts about his shot, there have never been doubts about what Langford does best.
“He’s a shot creating guard with terrific scoring instincts,” Jay Billas said on the draft broadcast on ESPN. “He’s among the best finishers in this draft. A driver that finds seams. He draws fouls and plays through contact. He shot 194 free throws on the season.”
Bilas believes that Langford can ultimately become a competent shooter despite the struggles at Indiana.
“He’s not a shooter,” Bilas added. “That 27% three-point shooting number, that’s got to be improved upon. But if he works on it I think he has the capability to improve on that. Can he be a great shooter? I’m not saying that. But can he be a consistent good shooter? I think he’s got that in him if he works at it.”
Romeo is headed to the @celtics!
Congrats, @yeahyeah22! #ProIU pic.twitter.com/3QHFhLo6lW
— Indiana Basketball (@IndianaMBB) June 21, 2019
For Langford, he never doubted how things would play out.
“I know what I’m capable of doing,” Langford said. “I’ve been doing it for a long time. There really wasn’t any doubt in my head that I would be a lottery.”
Indiana head coach Archie Miller was seated with Langford and his family at the draft.
Langford becomes the 77th Indiana player to be chosen in the draft in any round, and the first since OG Anunoby and Thomas Bryant were selected in 2017.
He is the first Hoosier picked by the Celtics in the first round since Steve Downing in 1973, and IU’s first lottery pick since Noah Vonleh was chosen by Charlotte in 2014.
In his lone season in Bloomington, Langford averaged 16.5 points per game. He added 5.4 rebounds, 2.3 assists, .8 blocks and .7 steals per contests. Langford shot 45% overall from the field including 27% from three-point range. He was 72% from the free throw line.
The 6-foot-6 shooting guard’s 528 points scored last season are the third most by a freshman in Hoosier history behind Eric Gordon and Cody Zeller.
Langford was the 2018 Indiana Mr. Basketball as a senior at New Albany High School. He averaged 35.5 points per game as a senior, and his 3,002 career points are the fourth most in Indiana boys high school basketball history.
Brad Stevens discusses Romeo Langford
Langford reacts to being selected by Boston
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
Want to receive all of our content via one e-mail in your inbox every day? It’s free. Join our daily mailing list here.
Please consider supporting The Daily Hoosier by shopping on Amazon via this link to the Amazon home page or through the ad below.