It is crunch time now, and Indiana is squarely on the NCAA Tournament bubble.
Selection Sunday is just under two weeks away, and with IU basketball in the mix The Daily Hoosier continues to check in each week to see where they stand in the eyes of the bracketologists.
Our favorite resource for bracket predictions is bracketmatrix.com, an aggregation site that compiles dozens of prognostications and produces an average.
Currently at Bracket Matrix, Indiana is in the field as a No. 12 seed. While many bracket predictions have not been updated to reflect IU’s win at Minnesota, this still directionally reflects where IU stands. Further below we will look at some prognostications that were updated after the Minnesota game.
The latest at Bracket Matrix reflects a one seed drop since last Monday, and a five seed drop overall as a result of a five game losing streak. The Hoosiers are a clear bubble team with a mission critical week ahead.
The most favorable outlets have Indiana as No. 8 seed, and the worst No. 12. More than a dozen outlets now have IU completely out of the field The average seed right now for Indiana is 11.29. They are the second highest No. 12 seed, and in a spot that brings the play-in games into the conversation.
Some of the best known bracketologists include:
- ESPN’s Joe Lunardi has IU as a No. 12 seed and one of the last four in (updated Friday prior to the Minnesota game)
- Bracketville’s Dave Ommen has IU as a No. 11 seed (updated today)
- CBS’s Jerry Palm has IU as one of the first four out of the field (updated today)
- Indiana based Delphi Bracketology has IU as one of the first four out (updated Friday)
- Bart Torvik has the Hoosiers as a No. 12 seed (updated today)
The 2021-22 men’s basketball season marks the fourth season of the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings, which replaced the RPI prior to the 2018-19 season as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams.
The NCAA Tournament Committee uses the NET to facilitate the selection of the field. The Hoosiers are currently No. 44 in today’s NET rankings, a drop of one spot since our update last week. Last season’s No. 44 team Arizona was ineligible for the tournament due to a postseason ban. The No. 43 team St. Louis did not make the field, while the No. 45 team Drake was in the play-in round.
Using the quadrant system for the NET, the quality of wins and losses is organized based on game location and the opponent’s NET ranking.
- Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
- Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
- Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
- Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
Indiana (18-10, 9-9) has not made the NCAA Tournament since 2016. Here is their record this season by quadrant:
- Quadrant 1: 3-6
- Quadrant 2: 3-4
- Quadrant 3: 4-0
- Quadrant 4: 8-0
(Note: The win over Notre Dame moved up to a quadrant 1 win last week)
Here is Indiana’s remaining schedule:
- vs. Rutgers (Quadrant 3)
- at Purdue (Quadrant 1)
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”