Selection Sunday is just under four weeks away, and with IU basketball in the mix The Daily Hoosier will check in each week to see where they stand in the eyes of the bracketologists.
Our favorite resource for bracket predictions is bracketmatrix.com, an aggregation site that compiles dozens of prognostications and produces an average.
As it stands on Monday, Feb. 14 at Bracket Matrix, Indiana is in in the field as a No. 10 seed. That reflects a three seed drop after two losses last week at Northwestern and Michigan State. It is fair to now call the Hoosiers a bubble team.
The most favorable outlets have Indiana as No. 7 seed, and the worst No. 12. Just one has IU completely out of the field The average seed right now for Indiana is 9.52. They are the top No. 10 seed.
Some of the best known bracketologists include:
- ESPN’s Joe Lunardi, updated today and has IU as No. 9 seed
- CBS’s Jerry Palm has IU as a No. 11
- Indiana based Delphi Bracketology has IU as a No. 10
- Bart Torvik has the Hoosiers as a No. 9
All of those projections have been updated since the Michigan State game on Saturday.
The 2021-22 men’s basketball season marks the fourth season of the NCAA Evaluation Tool (NET) rankings, which replaced the RPI prior to the 2018-19 season as the primary sorting tool for evaluating teams.
The NCAA Tournament Committee uses the NET to facilitate the selection of the field. The Hoosiers are currently No. 41 in today’s NET rankings, a drop of eight spots since our update last week. Last season’s No. 41 team Clemson was a No. 7 seed.
Using the quadrant system for the NET, the quality of wins and losses is organized based on game location and the opponent’s NET ranking.
- Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
- Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
- Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
- Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
Indiana (16-8, 7-7) has not made the NCAA Tournament since 2016. Here is their record this season by quadrant:
- Quadrant 1: 2-5
- Quadrant 2: 2-3
- Quadrant 3: 4-0
- Quadrant 4: 8-0
Here is Indiana’s remaining schedule:
- vs. Wisconsin (Quadrant 1)
- at Ohio State (Quadrant 1)
- vs. Maryland (Quadrant 3)
- at Minnesota (Quadrant 2)
- vs. Rutgers (Quadrant 3)
- at Purdue (Quadrant 1)
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.