In 49 states, it’s just a game. In the state of Indiana, we need our own power rankings. Every week we’ll help settle the ongoing debate regarding who are the best college basketball teams in the state of Indiana.
Here are the state of Indiana NCAA Division 1 men’s college basketball power rankings for the week ended January 28th, 2018:
Current Indiana teams in Joe Lunardi’s Bracketology: Purdue (1), Butler (9). Dropped out: Notre Dame
1. Purdue Boilermakers (21-2, 10-0) (B1G) – The Boilers keep rolling and have now set a program record with 17 straight wins. The Indiana and Michigan games were close though. Were vulnerabilities exposed?
2. Butler Bulldogs (15-7, 5-4) (Big East) – The Bulldogs get back on the right track with a dominant win over St. John’s in their only action of the week.
3. Indiana Hoosiers (12-10, 5-5) (B1G) – Archie has them playing with inspired effort, but it isn’t always translating to wins. 1-2 on the week but they move up mostly because of the poor play by others on this list.
4. Fort Wayne Mastodons (14-10, 3-4) (Summit) – They’ve now lost to both South Dakota and South Dakota State and have a losing record in the Summit. We can respect them no longer.
5. Ball State Cardinals (13-8, 4-4) (MAC) – The Cardinals continue to be uninspiring, losing to Kent State and struggling against a bad Akron team.
6. Notre Dame Fighting Irish (13-8, 3-5) (ACC) – Make that 5 losses in a row. The Irish obviously miss Bonzie Colson. It gets worse — Duke is next.
7. Evansville Purple Aces (14-9, 4-6) (MVC) – The Aces get back on track with 2 wins including one on the road at Valpo, and one over a decent Drake squad. For that they move up 2 spots in the rankings.
8. Indiana State Sycamores (10-12, 5-5) (MVC) – Another rough week with losses to Southern Illinois and Bradley. Opening day feels like a long time ago.
9. Valparaiso Crusaders (11-12, 2-8) (MVC) – The Crusaders are in a free fall, losing 5 in a row including at home to Evansville.
10. IUPUI Jaguars (7-14, 4-6) (Horizon)- The good news for the Jags is that they only had one game last week — a loss to UIC.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier