As another season of professional basketball begins, several former Indiana stars are either beginning or continuing their careers at the next level.
Below is a summary of former IU men’s basketball players competing in the NBA, the G-League, or overseas.
We acknowledge the Twitter handle @ProBallHoosiers for bringing the status of several of these players to our attention. That account is a great follow for the day to day activities of all former IU athletes playing professional sports.
HOOSIERS IN THE NBA
As the 2019-20 NBA season begins, eight former Hoosiers are on opening day rosters.
OG Anunoby – Toronto
After an injury riddled second season in the league, Anunoby looks to break out in Toronto in year three. Anunoby became the seventh former IU player to win an NBA title when the Raptors took home the crown in June.
Thomas Bryant – Washington
Bryant made a major breakthrough with Washington in his second year in the league. His reward was a new $25 million contract and now he will look to become a centerpiece with the Wizards.
Yogi Ferrell – Sacramento
Now in his fourth season in the league, Ferrell’s 2019-20 salary was guaranteed by the Kings during the offseason. He will look to carve out a more significant role in the rotation in his second year with the Kings.
Eric Gordon – Houston
Gordon finds himself in an interesting spot at the start of year twelve in the NBA. With both James Harden and Russell Westbrook now with the Rockets, Gordon’s role as either a starter or coming off the bench remains to be seen. The Indianapolis native signed a new contract during the offseason.
You can buy the NBA jerseys of your favorite former IU stars at Fanatics via the links below and support The Daily Hoosier in the process.
(Note: Anything you buy on the Fanatics site via these links will support us. There is no need to purchase the specific products shown)
Romeo Langford – Boston
Langford was an NBA lottery pick (No. 14) at the June NBA Draft. He has fully recovered from thumb surgery after his lone season at IU. Langford missed Boston’s first game with a minor knee issue.
Victor Oladipo – Indiana
Oladipo is still in recovery mode after his 2018-19 season ended with a knee injury on January 23. Most reports have the two time NBA All-Star returning to action in late November or December for what will be his seventh year in the league.
Noah Vonleh – Minnesota
Vonleh had the best season of his career in New York last year, averaging a double / double per 36 minutes.. He signed with Minnesota during the offseason. This will be Vonleh’s sixth year in the NBA.
Cody Zeller – Charlotte
Zeller dealt with various injury issues once again during 2018-19. Now entering his seventh year in the league, Zeller is looking for a healthy and productive season in Charlotte.
(All images are property of the copyright holder and are displayed here for informational purposes only.)
HOOSIERS IN THE NBA G-LEAGUE
- Juwan Morgan spent the summer and training camp with the Utah Jazz. He signed a contract and is expected to play with the Salt Lake City Stars this year.
- Troy Williams is expected to sign with the Northern Arizona Suns. He averaged 19.7 points per game with the Stockton Kings during the 2018-19 season and spent some time with Sacramento on a two way contract.
- Nick Zeisloft is expected to sign with the Santa Cruz Warriors. He played overseas the last two years.
HOOSIERS PLAYING OVERSEAS
- James Blackmon, Jr. (Italy) Blackmon is playing for Aquila Basket Trento in the highest tier league in Italy.
- Earl Calloway (Spain) Calloway is playing this year for Monbus Obradoiro in the top division of the Spanish league system.
- Mo Creek (Israel) Creek told The Daily Hoosier that he is playing in Israel this season.
- Evan Fitzner (Denmark) Fitzner signed a deal to play for FOG Naestved in Denmark.
- Jordan Hulls (Germany) Hulls is playing for s. Oliver Wurzburg in the Basketball Bundesliga League. Hulls was the FIBA Europe Cup MVP last year.
- Robert Johnson (Poland) — Johnson is with MKS Dąbrowa Górnicza in Poland after spending time in the G-League last year.
- Freddie McSwain (Brazil) — McSwain signed with Botafogo Basquete in Brazil.
- Josh Newkirk (Czech Republic) — Newkirk is with BK NH Ostrava in the Czech Republic.
- Will Sheehey (Germany) Sheehey signed with the same team as Hulls in Germany but reportedly has had groin surgery and is back in the US.
- D.J. White (Turkey) White is with Tofas S.K. in the Basketbol Super Ligi in Turkey.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no additional cost to you.