Indiana University President Michael McRobbie has appointed a 14-member committee to begin the search for a replacement for current Director of Athletics Fred Glass, who announced that he will retire at the end of the 2019-20 academic year. The committee includes current IU coaches, student athletes and others with ties to the school.
Below is the full release from IU.
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Indiana University President Michael A. McRobbie has appointed a 14-member committee of faculty, administrators, alumni and Athletics Department representatives to begin a nationwide search for a new director of intercollegiate athletics.
The new director will replace Fred Glass, who announced on Dec. 16 that he would step down as director of intercollegiate athletics, effective at the end of the IU Bicentennial academic year.
The search committee will be chaired by IU Vice President for Government Relations and Economic Engagement Bill Stephan. An Indiana native and IU McKinney School of Law graduate, Stephan has served as an IU vice president since 2001 and in leadership roles including liaison to the Board of Trustees and head of public affairs, university relations, corporate partnerships, and marketing and communications.
In 2008, Stephan chaired the search that led to Glass’ appointment. He has chaired or participated in searches for numerous senior leadership positions at the university during his tenure at IU.
“Bill Stephan has outstanding qualifications to lead this search, and I am very pleased he has agreed to do so,” McRobbie said. “He has nearly 20 years of experience serving at the most senior levels at IU, and he also knows the state extremely well and knows the passion that Hoosiers have for IU’s athletics teams,” McRobbie said.
“Bill will be chairing a committee of experienced and highly knowledgeable individuals, all of whom are deeply committed to Indiana University. I am sure that they will identify a new director of intercollegiate athletics who has the experience and background required to lead our Athletics Department into the future, who understands and embraces the traditions and values of IU, and who can build on the superb legacy that will be left by Fred Glass.”
Stephan said, “I look forward to working with President McRobbie and the members of the search committee, all of whom have expressed their commitment to participating in a thorough and robust process and finding the best individual to build upon IU’s winning culture.”
Stephan said the search committee and its members would not publicly comment on the search progress until a decision is announced, and the search would be carried out in strict confidence.
Also named to the committee were:
- Carrie Docherty, chair of the IU Athletics Committee, and associate dean of academic affairs and professor in the School of Public Health-Bloomington.
- Allison Jorden, member of the IU women’s soccer team, All-American women’s soccer player, Academic All-American and senior in the Kelley School of Business.
- Ray Looze, head coach of IU men’s and women’s swimming.
- Pat Miller, director emerita of the IU Foundation, former director of the IU Varsity Club and co-founder of Vera Bradley.
- Teri Moren, IU women’s basketball coach.
- Ned Pfau, member of the IU Foundation Board of Directors; director and former president of the IU Varsity Club; and president and CEO of Geo. Pfau’s Sons Co.
- Cindy Simon Skjodt, member of the IU Foundation Board of Directors and chair of the Samerian Foundation Board.
- Anthony Thompson, former All-American IU football player, member of the College Football Hall of Fame, and IU senior associate athletic director for engagement and sports performance.
- Randall Tobias, former trustee and chair of the IU Board of Trustees; director emeritus, IU Foundation; former director of the Varsity Club; and former chair and CEO of Eli Lilly and Co.
- Mattie White, IU senior associate athletic director for academic services and excellence academy, and senior woman administrator.
- James Wimbush, former chair of the IU Athletics Committee; vice president for diversity, equity and multicultural affairs; dean of The University Graduate School; and Johnson Chair for Diversity and Leadership at IU.
- Todd Yeagley, IU head men’s soccer coach and former All-American IU men’s soccer player.
- C. Kurt Zorn, faculty athletics representative, associate vice provost for undergraduate education and professor in the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs.
Longtime Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany, who retires Jan. 2, will be a consultant to the committee.
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no additional cost to you