Game Day Essentials
Jackson State Tigers (0-4) at Indiana Hoosiers (4-0)
- Tip Time: Tuesday, 7:00 p.m. Eastern
- Location: Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, Bloomington, Indiana
- Television: Big Ten Network (Kevin Kugler, Stephen Bardo)
- Stream: Fox Sports Live
- Radio: IU Radio Network
- Point Spread: Indiana is around a 22-point favorite
- KenPom Projected Score: No. 34 Indiana 75, No. 285 Jackson State 53
- Series: First meeting
JACKSON STATE NOTES AND STORYLINES
– Based in Jackson, Miss., Jackson State was picked third in the 2021-2022 Southwestern Athletic Conference pre-season poll after finishing with an overall record of 12-6 last season. They held a perfect regular conference season record of 11-0.
– Head Coach Wayne Brent has a 108-141 overall record in his 9th season at Jackson State.
– The Tigers are better on the defensive end, ranked No. 154 in KenPom adjusted defensive efficiency vs. No. 338 on the offensive end. This follows a trend under Brent where JSU has been No. 176 or better on defense each of the last four years (including No. 92 last season), but never better than No. 333 during that span on offense.
– Forward Jayveous McKinnis is averaging a double-double. He was on the preseason Lou Henson award watch list, an honor that goes to the nation’s top mid-major player.
– Jackson State opened its season with a 71-47 loss at Illinois, and the Tigers have suffered subsequent defeats on the road to Louisiana Tech, Cal Baptist and Marshall. JSU does not play its first home game until Dec. 29.
– The Tigers fell to IU’s next opponent, Marshall, 80-66, on Sunday afternoon. Gabe Watson finished with a team-high 18 points logging 28 minutes off the bench. Jayveous McKinnis recorded his third double-double on the season with 10 points and 12 rebounds and he also finished with two blocks. The dynamic forward notched his 26th career double-double. Chance Moore chipped in nine points off the bench.
– The Hoosiers are 7-0 all-time against teams from the SWAC.
- Guard – Jonas James, III 6-0 160 Sr. 5.8 ppg 1.8 rpg 2.8 apg
- Guard – Dyllan Taylor 6-1 190 Gr. 3.8 ppg 1.5 rpg 3.0 apg
- Forward – Isaiah Williams 6-7 225 Gr. 8.0 ppg 2.0 rpg 1.0 apg
- Guard – Ken Evans, Jr. 6-5 200 R. Fr. 7.3 ppg 5.0 rpg 2.5 apg
- Forward Jayveous McKinnis 6-7 225 Sr. 12.8 ppg 10.0 rpg 0.3 apg
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.