Indiana defeated Minnesota on Sunday evening by a final score of 84-79 at Williams Arena in Minneapolis.
The Hoosiers led 40-33 at halftime and were led in the game by Xavier Johnson with 24 points and 8 assists. Trayce Jackson-Davis added 14 points and 8 rebounds.
IU (18-10, 9-9) will host Rutgers for Senior Night on Wednesday.
This breaking story will be updated with highlights and expanded stats.
THREE KEYS TO THE GAME
1. Johnson does it again. Point guard Xavier Johnson had his second straight dominant performance with 24 points, 8 assists and 6 rebounds against just one turnover. Over his last two games the senior point guard has 48 points, 14 assists (against 4 turnovers), 7 rebounds, and he has made 7-of-9 from three. He had 16 points in the first half against Minnesota and made 6-of-8 free throws down the stretch to close out the win.
2. Hoosiers hot from three. Led by Johnson, Indiana was 10-of-21 from behind the 3-point arc with five different players connecting from long range. Miller Kopp and Rob Phinisee made 2-of-4. and Tamar Bates and Parker Stewart both connected from deep as well. The ten threes tied for the second most in a game this season by IU.
3. Dominant second half start. Indiana outscored Minnesota 30-10 over the first 11:39 of the second half to build a 70-43 lead that seemed insurmountable. That was enough to avoid disaster as Minnesota outscored IU 36-14 for the rest of the game. After building the 27-point lead, Minnesota got within three with five second remaining before Xavier Johnson hit two free throws to ice it.
The Daily Hoosier –“Where Indiana fans assemble when they’re not at Assembly”
- Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
- You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
- Seven ways to support completely free IU coverage at no cost to you.