Indiana University head basketball coach Archie Miller joined the legendary voice of IU Athletics Don Fischer on the first episode of their 2018-19 series of weekly radio shows. Below you can see the video from the live show.
Later in the show Fischer is joined by graduate transfer Evan Fitzner.
Key notes from the show:
- Miller said that physically speaking, the incoming freshmen have come in really strong relatively speaking.
- He believes that the upperclassmen have carried things over very well from last year.
- Miller’s comments on the Loyola Chicago scrimmage:
- He had high praise for the Ramblers and the challenges they presented.
- Miller was very pleased with the effort level defensively, including a couple of the younger guys. “We held a really good offensive team to a really poor day.”
- Offensively the Hoosiers weren’t as strong, as they need to establish more chemistry and half court execution.
- The Hoosiers were athletic and strong on the offensive glass.
- IU had 11 steals.
- Devonte Green and Race Thompson were out of practice with nagging injuries and Miller said they “could be out for a while” but did not sound like it was anything serious long term.
- “We have a quickness and toughness and speed about us that I like.”
- On offense, “we’re going to have to make some shots. We’re going to need guys to space the floor.”
- Miller spoke extensively about the team’s depth and how it allows them to establish a lot of different rotations.
- “This year’s team doesn’t aspire to shoot a bunch of threes. They aspire to drive and get fouled.”
- De’Ron Davis has full clearance, although he is still recovering and getting his conditioning better. He played 10 minutes vs. Loyola. He is not having any pain from his injury, but it sounds like it may not be until January that he is 100 percent.
- Miller went through the Big Ten and gave his assessment of several teams.
- There was discussion on the new locker rooms and player lounge.
- Rob Phinisee’s top attributes — physical strength, intelligence, and a quiet competitiveness. Good shooter with quick bursts.
- Miller discussed the IU students attending practice tomorrow and the student section generally.
- He also discussed the strength of schedule.
Video Credit – IU Athletics
You can follow us on Twitter: @daily_hoosier
Find us on Facebook: thedailyhoosier
Want to receive all of our content via one e-mail in your inbox every day? It’s free. Join our daily mailing list here.
Please consider supporting The Daily Hoosier by shopping on Amazon via this link to the Amazon home page or through the ad below.